With our beautiful weather here in Scottsdale, a backyard is really an extension of a home’s interior that can be enjoyed most of the year. Here are 5 backyard renovation ideas to increase your home’s entertaining and living space.
We are DC Ranch real estate experts and we enjoy sharing home improvement tips. Make DCRanchHomes your source for ideas to enhance your home’s value.
1) Pools: If you don’t already have a pool, you might want to consider adding one to your backyard. They are not only nice to look at, and are typically the central, aesthetic focus of a yard, but they also transform a yard into an outdoor family room, a place where the kids and family want to hang out, play or entertain.
A pool is also good for resale value. We have sold homes in the Scottsdale area for almost 20 years, and we typically see that homes without pools receive less showings than homes with pools. In other words, there are more buyers out there who want pools than buyers who don’t want pools.
A number of special features can be added to a pool to give it a “wow” factor: waterfalls, spillovers and waterslides. You can also renovate an existing pool by re-doing the surface tile to give it an extra punch.
2) Outdoor Fireplaces or Fire Pits: While you probably won’t be using your outdoor fireplace in Arizona’s summer months, winter evenings in Arizona can get chilly, making it a perfect time to light a fire, wrap yourself up in a blanket and make those s’mores you’ve been secretly craving.
Adding a fireplace to the exterior of one’s home also makes the area resemble a living room, designating a perfect space to set up an outdoor sitting area.
3) Pergolas and Patios: Also known as a “ramada” or “arbor”, a pergola is an open or semi-enclosed shelter that can be used to help define a space. In Scottsdale, many people create seating areas under their pergolas, making a nicely shaded patio area for lounging and dining in a backyard.
4) Outdoor Kitchens: If you’re someone who loves to grill, it’s irritating to have to go back inside every time you need an ingredient or utensil. So why not build a fully functional kitchen with ovens, a fridge and counter-top space outside?
Building a wrap-around bar around an outdoor kitchen is another great idea for those who love to entertain outside.
5) Putting Green: Why not tune up your putting stroke with your own backyard putting green? Putting greens require very little maintenance, and give a nice pop of color to a backyard. And, they are ready for play whenever you are.
Additional ways to optimize your backyard entertaining and living space include finding comfortable, weather-hardy patio furniture, adding a pop of color with plants and flowers that thrive in our desert climate, and installing outdoor speakers.
If you live in DC Ranch or Silverleaf and you think you may want to add any of these outdoor elements to your backyard, you will need to contact the Covenant Commission at the Ranch Offices, submit a modification plan, and get approval first. Reach out to us if we can point you in the right direction.
Contact us for community and real estate information in DC Ranch, or just to say “hi”.
Realtor | Founder
The Matheson Team – RE/MAX Fine Properties
21000 N. Pima Rd., #100, Scottsdale, AZ 85255