Outdoor living space is essential in a modern home – but how can you style yours to take advantage of beautiful mountain views, lush trees and Scottsdale’s spectacular year-round climate?
(Looking for a home for sale with spectacular outdoor living space? Check out 9280 East Thompson Peak Parkway #22 and 9280 East Thompson Peak Parkway #36. Both have amazing outdoor spaces you can enjoy all year.)
How to Style Your Outdoor Living Space for Year-Round Enjoyment
First things first: You need a great setting like those you’ll find in DC Ranch homes for sale. Some of the most attractive outdoor living spaces feature open-air dining, comfortable seating and all the right lighting.
Your outdoor dining table’s size, shape and material depends on your existing space and your design preferences.
Table Size and Shape
A 36-inch-by-72-inch rectangular dining table can seat up to eight people comfortably, but if you entertain on a regular basis, you may need something larger. If you prefer a circular shape, or if the space will be for your personal enjoyment, a bistro set that seats two to four people might be just right (a 30-inch round table can seat two comfortably).
Outdoor Table Materials
Wicker, metal and wood are the most popular materials for outdoor dining spaces. Each has its own set of pros and cons, but fortunately each does well in Scottsdale’s climate. Here’s what you need to know:
- Wicker: Wicker is pretty durable and usually lasts longer than wood. However, its style isn’t for everyone – it’s classic (not modern) and often, your color choices are limited. (Also, have you ever been jabbed with a piece of broken wicker? It’s not pretty!)
- Metal: Metal is fireproof and sturdy, and it’s easy to maintain. It’s easy to find your style, but it requires the right outdoor cushions to be comfortable. Water and metal don’t mix well thanks to rust, but if you use coverings during inclement weather, you should be in good shape.
- Wood: Wood can absorb moisture, but if you care for it properly, it’ll wear very well. Cedar, teak, pine and oak are some of the most popular; none of them hold heat from the sun and each is relatively simple to care for.
If you’re not springing for an outdoor dining table, the right lounge setup can transform an ordinary backyard into a fabulous space for entertaining or relaxing. The key is to arrange seating in conversational groups and pull everything together with an outdoor rug or a central fire pit.
The Right Outdoor Lighting
Tiki torches are popular for lighting dining and conversation spaces, but there are so many other options – including landscape lighting that gives your outdoor living space the perfect ambiance. When it comes to outdoor lighting, layering is important; you can create a gorgeous display by using a mix of wall-brightening lights (like hanging lanterns), landscaping element lighting (like solar-powered lamps) and task lighting (those tiki torches come in here).
If your outdoor living space is covered, hanging an outdoor chandelier (like this one) can be a great choice.
Are You Looking for a Home With Amazing Outdoor Living Space?
We can help you find the perfect home for outdoor entertaining. Call us at 480-360-0281 or get in touch with us online to let us know what you’re looking for. We’ll start searching right away.
In the meantime, check out our:
- Country Club Village homes for sale
- Desert Camp Village homes for sale
- Desert Parks Village homes for sale
- Silverleaf Village homes for sale