If you’re like many people, you’re putting your home on the market during the fall holidays – and Halloween has you wondering how much decor you should (or shouldn’t) put up. So how can you sell your house over Halloween without scaring off prospective buyers? Is any Halloween decor okay, or should you skip it all to sell your home?
Here’s what you need to know.
Selling a House Over Halloween: How NOT to Scare Off Buyers
If fun and festive are your go-tos for Halloween decor, you’re not alone. Millions of Americans will be putting fake bones in the front yard, ghoulishly cute wreaths on the front door and carved pumpkins on the porch (although not so much in Arizona – they’re not likely to last long).
But will that prevent you from selling your home?
It could – especially if you overdo it.
It may be a better idea to opt for fall-themed decor over Halloween anyway. Think about sticking to pumpkins, gourds and cornstalks, because they’re more generic – and some people just don’t celebrate Halloween. The bottom line is that you want your home to look warm and welcoming; it’s more appealing to buyers than anything that’s frightening.
Tips for Decorating Your Home for Halloween
You can still decorate your home for Halloween while it’s on the market, but you should talk to your REALTOR® about what’s appropriate. The key is to keep it minimal, though. If you decide to decorate for Halloween while you’re trying to sell your home, use these tips:
- Keep most of your decor outside, rather than inside (and avoid the decorations listed below).
- Choose small accents indoors, like little candles or soaps in the bathrooms or Halloween-themed throw pillows on the sofa.
- Have your home’s listing photos taken before you decorate so they’re not “dated.” If your home still happens to be on the market at Christmas, you don’t want to advertise it with Halloween decor.
- Take down all your Halloween decorations as soon as the holiday has passed – unless you’ve chosen generic fall decor, which can stay up through Thanksgiving.
When you talk to your agent about staging and Halloween decorations, it’s a good idea to ask what his or her other clients are doing. Buyers have certain expectations when they’re touring homes for sale in DC Ranch and other Scottsdale communities, so it’s important that you meet them.
4 Halloween Decorations to Avoid if You Want to Sell Your Home
Check out the four worst Halloween decorations for home sellers:
- Anything gory, like gruesome zombies or props that include blood
- Pumpkins that have seen better (read: fresher) days
- Anything that has to do with politics – period
- Clowns (really, some people suffer from coulrophobia, but even people who don’t have the actual diagnosis may not be big fans)
Are You Selling a Home in DC Ranch?
Thinking about selling your home in DC Ranch? Call us at 480-360-0281 to find out how we’ll market it to all the right buyers. If you’re also looking for a new home, we’d love show you any listing in the community. Let us know what you’re looking for and we’ll be happy to search for something that’s a perfect match for your needs.
While you’re here, check out our:
- Country Club Village homes for sale
- Desert Camp Village homes for sale
- Desert Parks Village homes for sale
- Silverleaf Village homes for sale