If you’re like many people selling your home this holiday season, you’re wondering, “Can you put up a Christmas tree when your house is for sale?” This guide explains – and gives you a few more tips for holiday decor that can make your home feel festive but not over-done.
Can You Put Up a Christmas Tree When Your House is for Sale?
Though the main theme when you’re selling your house should be (wait for it)… your house, it’s still okay to put up a Christmas tree when your home is on the market. However, there are a few caveats to that, such as:
- Don’t put up a massive tree. A big tree may look great in your home, but it will almost certainly crowd the space and make it feel smaller to buyers.
- Don’t overdo the decor. Keep Christmas tree decor to a minimum, because you don’t want to distract buyers from what’s most important: Discovering your home’s best features.
- Opt for a real tree and keep it watered. Choose a real tree this year; it’s more elegant and adds a natural pine scent to your home, which can be one of the small subtleties that makes buyers fall in love.
What About Other Decor?
When you’re decorating your home for the holidays, tone things down this season – you can go big next year, in your new home. The main takeaway is that buyers are there to see your home, and you don’t want to distract them with dazzling decorations. If you do, they’ll leave with more questions than they had walking in – and many of them won’t schedule a second tour to get the answers. They’ll simply move on to the next house.
How Can You Bring in Holiday Spirit Without Overdoing Decorations?
You can still make your house cheerful and festive this year, but you’ll have to go about it a little differently than you normally do. Rather than decking your halls with Christmas decor, think about adding small touches that still bring in holiday cheer, such as:
- A fluffy, Christmas-themed throw blanket draped over the corner of your sofa
- Candles on the mantel (but don’t light them when buyers come for a tour – some people don’t like scented candles, and worse, some prospective buyers may have asthma or other breathing issues that could be exacerbated by artificial scents)
- A wreath on the door and a potted plant on the porch
- Poinsettias in strategic locations around your home
- Freshly baked cookies from the oven or a simmering pot of cider on the stove (with to-go cups, naturally, so buyers can take a warm drink with them when they leave)
If you’re not sure what else you can do, talk to your REALTOR(R) – your agent is there to give you the guidance you need to sell your home quickly and at the right price.
Are You Selling a Home in DC Ranch?
Thinking about selling your home in DC Ranch? Call us at 480-360-0281 to find out how we’ll market it to all the right buyers. If you’re also looking for a new home, we’d love show you any listing in the community. Let us know what you’re looking for and we’ll be happy to search for something that’s a perfect match for your needs.
While you’re here, check out our:
- Country Club Village homes for sale
- Desert Camp Village homes for sale
- Desert Parks Village homes for sale
- Silverleaf Village homes for sale