The Gateway Trailhead, less than a mile from DC Ranch, offers 5 trails that cater to all levels of fitness. This article offers an overview of each trail.
Located on the east side of Thompson Peak Pkwy, between Legacy Blvd and Bell Rd, the Gateway Trailhead is a part of the McDowell Sonoran Conservancy.
It’s a wonderful amenity for hiking enthusiasts, and it’s located right next door to the neighborhoods of DC Ranch and Silverleaf, as well as Windgate Ranch and McDowell Mountain Ranch.
If you’re interested in a moving to a home near the Gateway Trailhead, contact the Matheson Team, your DC Ranch real estate experts, by filling out our contact form.
1. Bajada Nature Trail: The most accessible of all the trails with only half a mile distance, the Bajada Nature Trail is perfect for all ages and all skill sets. Even those in a wheel chair can feel comfortable conquering this trail!
It is lined with wildflowers in the spring time and is equipped with interactive exhibits to educate hikers on the amazing history of the surrounding areas. A beautiful and easy hike makes for perfect sight seeing and quality time in Arizona nature.
2. Horseshoe Loop: For a slightly more challenging hike that is still accessible to the whole family, check out Horseshoe Loop! A combination of three trailheads totaling 1.7 miles, Horseshoe features beautiful views of native desert plants and great wildlife sightings.
You will have an elevation gain of 100 feet, so there will be some nice mountain views.
3. Gateway Loop: This 4.5 mile hike is slightly more advanced than the previous 2 and it is recommended to have moderate hiking experience. The Gateway Loop offers stretches of trail that are flat but also has varying levels of steepness scattered throughout with a total elevation gain of 650 feet.
The views of the valley the Gateway Loop surrounds are beautiful, containing dense wildflowers, cacti and wildlife.
4. Inspiration Point: 5.8 miles of generally moderate hiking with a few steep sections, Inspiration Point is an out-and-back hike on a wide trail. This hike leads you to a viewpoint off the main trail with dazzling views of surrounding mountains, a steep canyon, and the lush Sonoran Desert.
On the way up you’ll gain 100o feet in elevation but the trail includes seating areas professionally constructed out of the existing rock to allow visitors to meditate and rest in this beautiful Sonoran Desert location.
5. Bell Pass/ Windgate Pass Loop: Last but not the easiest – this is the most difficult hike stemming from the Gateway Trailhead, the 9.6 mile Windgate Pass Loop. While switching from trail to trail, this extensive hike is challenging but exhilarating, containing an elevation change in total of 1900 feet.
The breath taking views you’ll be able to glimpse on this hike are well worth it if you’re an experienced hiker who can handle the steep elevation. It is a very remote area of desert so be sure to bring plenty of water!
From avid hikers to families going out for a fun day outing, Gateway Trailhead has an ideal trail for you to try out.
CONTACT US for more information on homes for sale in DC Ranch and Silverleaf.
Realtor | Founder
The Matheson Team – RE/MAX Fine Properties
21000 N. Pima Rd., #100, Scottsdale, AZ 85255