Keeping a beautiful backyard is tough in desert climates – but with these tips, you can keep yours looking great and ensure that it’s more fire-safe than an ordinary yard is.
3 Tips for a Fire-Safe Backyard
While there’s no guarantee that any yard will be completely fire-proof, these tips can help you create a safer backyard.
1. Space Plants Appropriately
When you’re placing plants in your yard, those nearest to your home should be more widely spaced than those that are farther – and the plants near the house should be smaller, too. Break up vegetation with decorative rock or stone pathways, which are proven to slow the spread of fire.
2. Use Fire-Resistant Plants
Plants that are considered more fire-resistant than their counterparts can grow without shedding dead branches or leaves. They also:
- Grow slowly and don’t need a lot of pruning or maintenance
- Have high moisture content
- Have low sap or resin content
- Have open, loose branches
3. Maintain Your Yard Frequently
A lot of plants are more flammable if they’re not maintained properly, but you can minimize risk if yours are watered frequently and pruned to remove any dead materials. Cut dead branches and keep grasses trimmed – and if there’s a fire warning, give all your plants extra water.
Plants to Consider
Shrubs and Trees
Are You Buying or Selling a Home in DC Ranch?
Whether you’re buying a home for sale in DC Ranch or you’re selling one, we’re here to help you.
Call us at 866-613-8356 to talk about your goals – we can help you reach them.
While you’re here, you can also or look for your next home for sale in these DC Ranch neighborhoods:
- Country Club Village homes for sale
- Desert Camp Village homes for sale
- Desert Parks Village homes for sale
- Silverleaf Village homes for sale